Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) is an initiative of Poets in Nigeria (PIN) designed to stimulate creativity, promote literary excellence and broaden the concept of intellectualism among Nigerian undergraduates in Nigeria and the Diaspora. Unarguably the nation’s foremost poetry platform for students, the maiden edition of the prize was inaugurated in 2016 and received 320 entries from 64 tertiary institutions.
The 2nd edition of the prize opens to submissions between 15th February 2016 and 15th April, 2017. Winners will be announced exactly a month thereafter.
Aside rewarding top three entrants who also double as prize winners with a total cash prize of ₦200,000, the top 100 entrants will be published in a globally distributed eBook.
1st Prize Winner – ₦100,000
2nd Prize Winner – ₦60,000
3rd Prize Winner – ₦40,000
NSPP now rewards the top three entrants with a cash prize of ₦200,000 as against the initial ₦180,000 shared by Noah Oladele (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State), Chinelo Nwangwu (University of Ibadan, Oyo State) and Chisom Okafor (University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State) – winners of the maiden edition.
- Open to Nigerian undergraduates irrespective of location.
- Entries submitted must be previously unpublished. A submission discovered to have defaulted on this rule will be automatically voided (inclusive of winners).
- Poems must be original, intellectual property of the entrants.
- There are no fixed themes.
- An entrant is entitled to a single entry of limitless word count.
- Under no condition will the judges’ decision be challenged.
- Entering for the contest gives PIN automatic right to make use of entries as deemed appropriate.
- Entries must be written in English. Native terminologies must be translated in English as footnotes.
- Entrants should subscribe to http://www.poetsinnigeria.org.ng for regular updates.
For enquiries, contact the moderator – 07034847164.
Submission Deadline: 15th April, 2017
Kolade Olanrewaju Freedom
Moderator, NSPP 2017